Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Might As Well...Whole Healthiness

So, it's January...still.  Sometimes life gets so big and full that days feel like weeks.  That's my January.  My business is booming because so many people want to give clean eating a try and just don't have the time or inclination to cook complex meals.  But, OHHHHHH...isn't it nice when you are cleaning up your food act to have something delicious and rich and different and EASY to have for lunch (my big meal of the day) or dinner.  My son is home and I don't want to miss a moment with him, especially as a family, but we are now counting the days until he goes back to college...I am counting the hours (73 hours, 53 minutes).  I am also trying to navigate a Whole30 or SqueakyCleanJanuary for my family and for ME! and I am feeling the need to clean and organize my home and my car and my life! (as one does each and every new year!).  On top of that, I am still working my part time gig to keep those college books and drill team fees and the evil doctor, lab, oncology bills paid!

Anyway, I am busy!

And, in addition to getting back to real food and better planning when it comes to what we eat - I have made other resolutions.

To journal.

To move.

To be in the sunshine (or at least outdoors) every day.

To be intentionally kind when I'm driving. (yes, I am that person...I am sorry if I've ever screeched at you from inside my car...sigh...)

To practices moments of mindfulness.

That's where today's post comes in.

I saw something on tv the other day about mindfulness and simple ways to practice it without joining a meditation class or creating a separate room in your home or something extreme.  The journalist said she started by brewing a hot cup of tea every morning and sitting down in her favorite spot without other distractions (tv, smart phone, kids, etc) and just being in the moment with the tea as her focus.  The heat from the mug.  The smell.  The feeling of warmth in her throat.  The comforting experience of quiet and nourishment and solitude.  The realization of stopping for just a few minutes.

I can do this - with coffee, of course, but I can do this!

And yesterday morning as I was leaving to deliver my morning orders - it hit me!  It's the 9th of January and I've only  managed to 'experience' morning coffee mindfulness once so far this year. 

I've created a couple of barriers without even thinking about it - I have a travel mug that I love - it keeps my coffee at just the right temperature - but it is not warm in my hands...it stays cool!  It has a lid, so it's not as easy to inhale all that wonderful coffee aroma. 

Of course, there is also all the stuff that gets in the way of mindfulness (I know you all know exactly what I mean!, even if you aren't trying to practice mindfulness) - the check list that guides my days that brings me incredible joy  as I check things off!  The routine I have been following for years (and old habits ARE hard to break).  The dogs that demand their food and my attention because that is what they are used to.  And it's morning - I am at my  most productive in the morning...can I really stop to be mindful when I have all this energy and potential for accomplishment?

I CAN - but will I?  Even when I know there are all kinds of benefits waiting for me should I commit to practicing just a few minutes of mindfulness (or meditation or prayer) each day.

Positive Psychology Program lists these as the 5 most common benefits of mindfulness:

  • Decreased stress
  • Enhanced ability to deal with illness
  • Facilitation of Recovery
  • Decreased depressive symptoms
  • Improved general health

I actually did quite a bit of reading on mindfulness when I was going through my breast cancer treatment and its impact of fighting the disease (of course I also know that whatever God designs is what will be - but I am my own warrior and believe in the power of doing all I can to help!)


So, today - even after I brewed my coffee into that travel mug I love so much! :) ...I poured it out into my  favorite giant ceramic mug, fed the dogs, turned off the tv, plugged my phone in across the room with the sound off and sat down in my favorite place and experienced my mug of really good, black coffee.  I kept a pencil and paper near me so if a thought I couldn't release came into my head (like writing this blog post and taking a photo) - I could jot it down & I can let it go - and get back to my coffee.  Silly as it sounds - it felt like such a luxury to sit and wrap myself in the pleasure of warm cup of coffee and quiet. 

I need to make this a habit.  Not a resolution - a habit that lasts far beyond 2018.  Time for myself, my health, my inner peace...even if it's just for 5 minutes a day!


There is a reason that in the world of real food and clean eating and health - it never stops with food and exercise.  There are always more and more layers to help us achieve our optimum life.  I think mindfulness is one of those layers I (and you) can achieve.



1 comment:

  1. This is a fantastic post from the standpoint of mindfulness and how much we need the quiet moments of it through out our day.
    I'm glad to see that you are still posting... I bid you Peace...

    ReplyDelete

2. How Do You Soothe Yourself When You are Upset...

FYI - this is post 2 in my effort to complete 300 Writing Prompts as part of my New Year's resolution. As soon as I landed on this, I ...