Thursday, February 14, 2019

300 Ideas

LAST Christmas...not the one that we celebrated roughly 2 months ago...the one before that!  My son got me a book called 300 Writing Prompts.  I'm not going to lie...I asked for this specifically.  I was missing writing.  I guess I got hooked when I was blogging almost daily about my journey with mom.  I enjoyed the process.  I enjoyed the results.  I felt heard (even when no one read the post!).  It was therapy.  And then mom passed away and I grieved and moved onto something else - a Paleo lifestyle.

Let me tell you something about blogging about food and cooking...it's NOT therapy.  It's work!  It requires organization, photography skills, a more linear style of cooking than I prescribe to...AND if you forget to take a picture of a step or if you are so hungry or excited or absentminded as to not get a pristine picture of the finished product...it's like it didn't even happen.  So, say the recipe ended up amazing, but there was no picture of a step or two or the finished product.  And say, like me, you tweak and flourish and add and forget to write things down (knowing absolutely that you will remember exactly what you did...)...well, you have to fake it or apologize or DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN!  I loved the cooking.  I loved the creating.  I loved 95% of the finished products.  And, I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the sharing delicious recipes...because, let's be honest - there is not a lot of super easy, really flavorful, affordable ingredient, clean recipes out there.

Anyway, it just wasn't for me.

So, this year - mid-January, let's say - I decided to make a couple of resolutions.  Obviously, I'm going to lose 2000 pounds, work out daily, be more grateful, practice yoga, volunteer, join a book club, drink more wine, start a progressive dinner club and write a cookbook...obviously!


Back to reality...one of my resolutions was to write more.  And I thought my 300 Writing Prompts book was the perfect place to start.  Guess what?  I do NOT enjoy writing the old-fashioned way.  With pen and paper.  And certainly not in this tiny little book.  I need space.  I need a keyboard.  I need headphones and some random music and a coffee and both hands!  So, once again - I turn to the free Google Blogger platform - because I haven't quite won a million dollars or become less frugal or found a way to not want to spend all my money on my family.  And, I have no expectation that anyone will read this.  But it is time.  Time to get back to my favorite pastime that does not involved a beach and a beverage.  I'm going to tackle these 300 prompts right her.  And I'm going to finish them all by the end of the year...so I probably won't have time to lose 2000 pounds or start that dinner club or join that book club or write that cookbook.  I think I will drink the wine, work out a little more, practice yoga and volunteer.  I am already more grateful than I've been in a long time.  (I have to make myself do it, but it has been a satisfying, life-enriching experience!)

So, if you happen by this sight and wonder why it has no theme or real purpose and isn't really teaching you anything and there isn't a recipe in sight (unless I decide to post one!)… it's just me writing.  It's just me getting my therapy on.  It's just me doing something I want to do and actually making time to do it!

Wish me luck!

My rules are going to be - I will not be going in order of the prompts in the book and I will not allow myself to search out prompts that I feel like writing about on any particular day...I'm just going to open the book and whatever the Universe presents to me - I will honor it and write.  I am guessing some will be way too long and some may be ridiculously short...but those will probably be the minority since I am a life-long rambler! If you are interested - I found the book at Target (that seems like a good sign to me...since Target is also therapy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

2. How Do You Soothe Yourself When You are Upset...

FYI - this is post 2 in my effort to complete 300 Writing Prompts as part of my New Year's resolution. As soon as I landed on this, I ...