Thursday, February 14, 2019

What do the clothes you are wearing right now say about you...

Heck of a first prompt....

I enjoy clothes...I don't LOVE clothes, but I enjoy them.  I especially enjoy clothes for easy days.  Yoga pants, leggings, comfy jeans and oversized sweatshirts or sweaters or cardigans.  Boots, sneakers, Chucks and these delightful Bjorn sandals I scored last summer on clearance that are like sandal hugs for my feet!

I have a classic had-two-kids-after-35, hereditary apple shaped, love-to-swim-but-can-easily-avoid-all-other-exercise kind of body.  Ooooh...and I adore food.  That never helps create a sleek physique!  So, maybe that's why I don't LOVE clothes.

I do have a pretty good relationship with my body.  I cleaned up my diet, left a toxic work environment,

(I need to interrupt this writing because the world stops for Chris Janson's Buy Me a Boat!  I find joy and happy feet and all kinds of humor in this song...………)

Okay, sorry about that!  Anyway - me and my body are doing fine - I'm 75 pounds lighter than I was 3 years ago, I have a few scars and 3 tiny tattoos from my SUCCESSFUL cancer treatment that I celebrate every morning and the nights when I'm not too tired to change into jammies.  But there are styles I just can't pull off.  That little bit of reality keeps my relationship with fashion more of the "good friends" version than the "head-over-heels-in-love" version that I enjoyed back in the day!

So, today - Valentine's Day - I felt compelled to wear red.  I have a couple of red options - because red is good on me!  But, for the first time in about 13 days, I am taking a day off!!!!  I also have the kind of list of things to accomplish that one has when they haven't had an entire day off in a while...which means going out in public!  I was also supposed to meet a friend for coffee this morning, but she woke up to a sick child and that was the end of that.  I tell you all of this to explain how I decided on what to wear today.

I decided basic black Old Navy leggings would make me happiest on this "first day off in a long time"....so that was easy.

Oh yeah - it's 75 degrees out today...it's February and yesterday I needed a coat!  Texas weather!  And windy as all get out!

Thankfully, as I said - it's Valentine's Day, so I went right for the red shirt options.  Too warm for the sweater or Ohio State sweatshirt.  Too warm for the yummy corduroy jacket thingy that I love.  Too cool for the flowy boho Old Navy clearance find.  But, the suede jacket-shirt that I've owned for so many years that I outgrew it and then re-claimed it when I lost weight was the obvious choice.

Now, it took much longer to type that than it took to actually make the choice and put the shirt on.  There was the cami decision, but that was pretty split-second as well.  I decided on a white, extra long cami because white makes an outfit feel casual and lighter and the extra long is just a nice thing to do for the world as I venture out in leggings...my 57-year-old bottom is better left unseen!


I also went with mismatched Christmas socks over the leggings, under the boots because they  make me happy.  I would be fine with year-round Christmas...or at least every other month celebrations.  So, I keep the Christmas socks at the ready for those days when a little secret whimsy is just the ticket.  And, as mentioned - I went with boots.  I don't have to do any prolonged walking, it isn't raining and they are SOOOOOO comfortable. I am pretty sure they went out of style sometime last year, but I don't care.  And, because it's my day off - my favorite Kendra's.

Good heavens - what does what I'm wearing say about me?????
  • I'm a bit of a rule follower (red on Valentine's Day)
  • I'm a bit conservative or whatever it means to dress in what I feel suits my body type
  • I choose joy whenever and wherever I can even if it is just Christmas socks and comfy, out of style boots
  • I drank the Texas Kendra Scott Kool-Aid...and I love it!
  • I am comfortable in my own skin because not once did I think about what's trendy or what might impress the world of folks I might see today
  • I like to wear things that are bright when I'm not wearing black
  • I fully understand what will happen if I choose incorrectly and have to spend an entire day in something that does not make me feel good about myself, so I choose deliberately
  • I also don't really care what anyone else thinks about what I am wearing...I am pretty much only worried about how I feel in what I'm wearing.
None of that was really a revelation. But I can honestly say that I have never really sat down and analyzed what my clothes say about  me.  And I get dressed every single day!  

I am sitting at Starbucks right now and I am crazy aware of what everyone around me - sitting, coming in and out, walking by the window to the restaurant next door - is wearing.  What does it say about them?  How did they choose?  Do they have mismatched Christmas socks on?  Did I remember to look at the backside of me this morning...because I am almost positive this one lady did NOT!  There's a lot of easy comfort at Starbucks this morning.  A little fashion.  Several pairs of cute shoes.  And ear pods...which I just don't get...are everywhere!  

I will say that at first glance, almost everyone seems really comfortable with their choices.  They look like their clothes belong to them.  The exceptions, the folks that just don't look at ease in what they are wearing - too high heels, to tight tops, too short shorts - are obvious.  I guess there's a lesson there.  Find your style, the things that make you feel good, spend a bit to get quality (or be an awesome sale shopper like me!) and you get to worry less in your every day, every minute.  One less thing to worry about seems like a very good thing, now that I think about it.

#300writingprompts #newyearsresolution #playingwithwords #wordtherapy


No comments:

Post a Comment

2. How Do You Soothe Yourself When You are Upset...

FYI - this is post 2 in my effort to complete 300 Writing Prompts as part of my New Year's resolution. As soon as I landed on this, I ...